Kids need to learn to be active, and there's no better way than to let them walk around the same places you do! Not only is it good for them, but they will feel very big and be very proud. :)
Yes, their legs may get tired at first, and their may be some whining and begging to be carried - but encourage them to walk instead of picking them up (at least the first few times they ask.) Tip: Make a deal with them, "You walk to the stop sign and then I'll pick you up." You only need carry them a short distance to give them the boost to walk again. When you put them down and there are complaints just arrange another deal and keep walking.
- I recommend not picking the child up when they are crying. This reinforces that if they get upset and cry then they will get their way. When A (she's 2) starts to fuss and wants to be picked up I'll either work a deal with her or wait until she is quiet and asks in a "big girl voice" to be picked up. It's easier one day than it is the other, but this usually always works.
My kids, (and their parents) know I don't take the stroller, I tried it once and hated it. I found it cumbersome and time consuming! It's much easier holding a child's hand than getting them in and out of a stroller and then having to use ramps instead of the stairs, and they get much more exercise walking than when riding along in the stroller!
With the obesity problem America faces today we need to encourage exercise and healthy habits to children at every given opportunity!
So I dare you to leave the stroller home next time, (unless you have an infant...) I think you'll be surprised the time you'll save and the fun your child will experience having a new found freedom!
NannyU Tips:
- Encourage your child to walk, start with short distances and gradually increase the distance.
- Remember to use positive encouraging words like, "Wow Dave, You're doing a great job marching up that hill!" or "Look how well you can keep up with Mommy."
- Don't pick up your child when they are whining or crying. Tell them when they are calm and ask nicely in a big kid voice you will give them a lift. (This applies for children under 2 yrs. of age.)
- This is a great time to teach them street safety, go on "nature walks" and to develop their observations of the surroundings and nature.
No comments:
Post a Comment